Sunday, August 6, 2017

Corn Salad

Today's post should just be titled "I love corn" and then have no words - just pictures -  because really, any way you make it is good. Doesn't matter what you do to it. Don't even need a recipe hahaha!


Having said that, I still want to share this terrific salad that I found in an All Recipes magazine (do you get these? I have no idea why I do - and with every issue I receive there is a notice that this is my last one unless I renew...but I didn't sign up to start with!), even though you can't go wrong doing whatever with fresh corn in my book,  this is fantastic.


CORN SALAD WITH CREAMY ITALIAN DRESSING

1/2 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
2 pinches cayenne pepper, or more to taste
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons water
4 ears corn, husks and silks removed and kernels cut off cobs (about 4 cups of kernels)
1 cup diced roasted red bell peppers (or tomatoes, see my note)
5 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced, or to taste

1. Whisk together first 9 ingredients (only using 1/4 cup olive oil, reserve the 1 tablespoon) until dressing is thick and creamy. Cover tightly and chill until ready to use, up to 5 days ahead.

2. Heat remaining 1 Tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in corn and cook until light golden brown and toasted, about 15 minutes.

3. Transfer to a bowl and stir in red bell pepper. Pour enough dressing over corn mixture to coat completely (you'll probably only need 6 Tablespoons or so). Season with extra salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste.

4. Stir in basil just before serving.

per 3/4 cup serving: 183 calories, 9.5g fat


NOTE: I omitted the red pepper and used chopped tomatoes instead. Also added a little crumbled goat cheese. SO GOOD!!

served with grilled chicken and steamed broccoli

No comments:

Post a Comment