Thursday, August 24, 2023

Plum BBQ Sauce/Spoon Sweet

I bought a bag of plums intending to eat them fresh but they didn't taste great - so I figured if I added sugar and turned them into a simple jam they'd taste way better! And they did hahahah.

So I started making them following a recipe I found online that called for plums, water, granulated sugar and lemon juice. I chopped 10 plums into chunks (skin on, remove the pit obviously), brought to simmer in a large saucepan with a little water for a few minutes until softened. Add a cup of sugar and boil. (I'll attach a link for the full recipe below). While boiling the fruit I was googling other recipes for things to do with plums and came across one for plum barbecue sauce and since we were having pork tenderloin that night I decided to switch gears and make that instead! 

The new recipe called for 6 plums and 1/4 cup maple syrup for the sweetener but I'd already put quite a bit of sugar in the plums, so I strained approximately 6 plums worth of chunks out of the sugar water and didn't add the maple syrup when making the bbq sauce. Other than that I followed the recipe exactly. I couldn't blend it into a normal bbq textured sauce that I'd brush on the tenderloin so we had it on the side more like a dip. The flavor is great even if the texture was a little thick - that could very well have been because I slightly changed the ratio of plums and syrup! I hate when people leave bad reviews on recipes that they changed  LOL. 




Now for the second part of this post - have you ever had, or heard of, Spoon Sweets? It's a Greek dish that is like super thick jam with chunks of fruit in it and it's fantastic. We had it in Greece on top of yogurt and fell in love, I've looked at different recipes thinking I'd love to make some but just haven't got around to it yet. There's a point to this rambling - the fruit that I didn't fish out of the sugar water was still on the stove so I boiled it some more until most of the liquid was absorbed figuring I'd just have a sort of jam like result, but it turned into the amazing texture of spoon sweet! I accidentally made spoon sweet and was thrilled. Bonus!!! 


click here for the easy plum jam recipe found at It's Not Complicated 

click here for the plum barbecue sauce recipe found at food.com



No comments:

Post a Comment