Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Hermits

It was pouring rain last week and even tho it was warm out I was in the mood to bake - I don't always want to bake in the summer and heat the kitchen up, but the rain made it feel ok to do that haha. Looking for something different and with the ingredients I have on hand - came across this recipe for hermits in my  'Joy of Cooking' cookbook. I have no idea why they are named 'hermits' and I don't care enough to google it 😉


ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup sour cream or buttermilk
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 3/4 t. cinnamon
  • 1/2 t. cloves
  • 1/4 t. baking soda 
  • 1/2 cup chopped raisins, dates, figs, dried apricots (note I used dried cranberries)
  • 1/4 cup chopped nuts (note I used coconut instead)
directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375'

2. Beat the butter until soft and fluffy. Gradually add the brown sugar and blend until light and creamy. Beat in the egg and milk. 

3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, spices, and baking soda. Add to the butter mixture and beat until smooth.

4. Stir in the chopped fruit and nuts/coconut. 

5. Drop by teaspoon fulls onto greased cookie sheets (or use parchment paper for easy clean up). Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned - the book says 15 minutes but using my small scoop my cookies only took 8 minutes. Cool on a rack. 

makes approx 50 small cookies. These are very soft and cakey, not my favorite texture but everyone else is gobbling them up so...I do like that you can really taste the cinnamon, almost like a spice cookie. 

6.30.20: tip-sy tuesday: tension rods





No comments:

Post a Comment