Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Minty Dream Cookies

Dave asked if I would make cupcakes or cookies for his ukulele meeting and since I've been making so many cupcakes lately I went with cookies! I've had this recipe in my file for a while from the book 'Christmas Cake Murder' by Joanne Fluke (a series of murder mystery - slash- recipe books) and had all the ingredients on hand so whipped them out. The only thing I changed is probably a big thing - substituted vanilla for the peppermint extract so the ones I made are technically not 'minty dream cookies' but I'm sticking with the name in case you want to make them minty. I added yellow decorating sugar to white sugar (see recipe) but you can't see the yellow at all...these remind me of shortbread (which I love!), crunchy and chewy at the same time. Not the best looking cookie but the taste makes up for it!

  • 1 cup melted butter (2 sticks)
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 t. peppermint extract
  • 1/2 t. baking soda
  • 1/2 t. cream of tartar
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 2 cups plus 2 T. flour
  • 1/2 cup white sugar for coating dough balls
  • 6 T. colored decorating sugar, optional (she did 1/2 red, 1/2 green at Christmastime)
  • approx. 5 dozen Hershey's Kisses, unwrapped
  1. Melt the butter in a microwave-safe bowl, add the cup of powdered sugar and 1/2 cup of white sugar and mix thoroughly. Let the mixture cool to room temperature.
  2. Mix in the egg and extract. Add the baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt; mix until well combined. Add the flour in 2 increments, mixing after each addition. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour (or overnight). 
  3. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325' with the rack in the middle position. Spray cookie sheets with non-stick spray or line them with parchment paper.
  4. Add colored decorator sugar to the 1/2 cup white sugar if you want the cookies to be colored. If using more than one color of decorating sugar just divide the 1/2 cup white sugar into small bowls and mix different colors in. 
  5. Roll dough into walnut-size balls. Roll the balls in the sugar (or sugar mixed with colored sugar). Place on your prepared cookie sheets. Press an unwrapped Kiss in the center. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until light brown. Cook on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to finish cooling. 
makes approx. 5 dozen cookies. (My note - I used a 2 Tablespoon cookie scoop and made 2 1/2 dozen, maybe they would have looked better if I used my small scoop!)

6.16.20: tip-sy tuesday: toasting pine nuts
6.16.17: outfit idea - distressed jeans

No comments:

Post a Comment