Sunday, October 22, 2017

Crock Pot Tot Casserole

A couple times a year we have a sing-a-long bonfire cookout at Al and Cathy's that has been dubbed a "Ukulele Hoedown". Dave plays his uke and we sing along using songbooks (we made folders with all the lyrics for everyone and have lots of mini flashlights, so there is no excuse to not sing haha!), and there is tons of food of course...


Al and Cathy made 3 soups and stews along with baked ham and cheese sliders, I brought this cheesy potato casserole in my big crockpot - I saw the recipe in the little manual that came with my crock pot and modified it a bit (original calls for onion, green pepper, and crushed cheese crackers), it turned out great and keeping it warm in the crockpot (that I lined with one of those crock liner bag things) kept the mess down and transporting was easy.


Here is my modified version of the recipe:
  • 80 ounces frozen tater tots
  • 2 sticks butter
  • 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
  • 3 1/2 cups milk
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Line a big crock pot with a liner bag or spray it with non-stick cooking spray. Stir all of the ingredients together in a big bowl, transfer to the crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 4+ hours. 

Note: this ended up cooking for probably 6 hours and then left on warm for 3 hours. The tater tots break down so it basically looks like hash browns but was delish - I'm thinking if I cooked for shorter time they might stay more intact but it totally didn't matter. 






No comments:

Post a Comment