Wednesday, October 11, 2017

German Chocolate Bread


Yep, you read that right...German Chocolate bread. Who'da thunk it hahaha. My friend LeDonna loves German Chocolate cake (Mary too but she doesn't live close enough for me to make her one! Boo!) and I usually make her one for her birthday (click here to see the best German Chocolate Cake I've perfected thanks to making so many times for her!!). This year it didn't work for me to make her the cake but I still wanted to bake her a little treat and wondered to myself if there was such thing as German Chocolate bread? Googled and found a couple recipes so that's what I made. The recipe I followed makes 4 loaves (which was 3 loaves too many!) so I divided the recipe in half and made 2 loaves (if you're wondering, the second loaf did not go to waste ;) just sayin').

Here is 1/2 of the original recipe (obviously if you want all 4 loaves just double these ingredients):

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup cocoa (note: I used dark cocoa, it makes the bread super dark, almost black, which is especially cool for this time of year!)
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 lb. butter, softened (2 sticks)
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 1 cup flaked coconut, plus additional for the top if desired
  • 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons Kahlua
  • 1/2 cup hot water
Directions: 

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa in a bowl and set aside.

Cream butter and sugar for a couple minutes until light and fluffy.

Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each one. Scrap down the sides of the bowl.

Mix in sour cream.

On low speed slowly add flour mixture, do not over mix.

Stir in the coconut and chocolate chips using a spatula or wooden spoon. The dough will be super thick.

Spoon into 2 greased loaf pans smoothing out the tops. Drop the pan onto a flat surface a few times to release any air bubbles.

Bake at 325' for 40-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out with just a few crumbs. Cool for a few minutes in the pan, then remove from pans and cool on a rack. 

For the glaze:

Mix together confections sugar, Kahlua and water until smooth and it coats the back of a spoon. Slowly pour over the cooled bread, allowing excess to run down the sides.

NOTES: For LeDonna's loaf I added a large handful of chopped pecans to make it more like a "traditional" German Chocolate cake. I used unsweetened coconut since I had a bunch left over from the Hawaiian cake I made for Dave, click here for that post. After mixing the glaze together let it set for a few minutes to thicken before pouring over the bread. The original recipe didn't include putting more coconut on top but I think it looks pretty and recommend doing it. 

Click here for the original recipe.

one year ago: how to repair a broken toilet lever
two years ago: meatloaf stuffed acorn squash










No comments:

Post a Comment